An Ancillary Certificate in Driving Instruction allows you to be paid to teach a person to drive. If you do not hold a Certificate you cannot be paid for your services. The certificate will appear as a condition on the back of your licence.
To be eligible to hold an Ancillary Certificate in Driving Instruction you must:
- be at least 21;
- hold a current Australian driver licence for the class of vehicle in which you wish to instruct;
- for car driving instructors, have successfully completed an approved training course (ring 1300 135 513);
- have held and Australian driver licence (other than learner or provisional) for at least 3 years, and held it for at least one year immediately prior to the date of your application
- meet the "suitable person criteria", this includes that -
- you have not been convicted for a criminal or other offence
- you have not been disqualified from driving for a traffic or drug/alcohol related offence within the last 5 years
- you have not previously had a certificate refused or cancelled
- If you do not meet the criteria, you will need to give us a letter stating the reasons why you should be granted an Ancillary Certificate.
- This letter should also be accompanied by supporting documentation, such as character references.
- provide a commercial medical assessment
You will need to provide or undertake the following:
- your drivers licence.
- completed an application form for Ancillary Certificate in Driving Instruction.
- National Criminal History Check, even if you have never had any convictions or offences.
- a commercial medical assessment form completed by your usual medical practitioner
- complete a knowledge test on the Tasmanian road rules (heavy vehicle classes only)
- 1 passport size photograph
- Signature specimen
- for car driving instructors, successfully complete the following units of the "Certificate IV in Driving Instruction" -
- Develop safe driving behaviours
- Apply safe driving behaviours
- For motorcycle Instructors, successfully complete the training course provided by an external service provider
- For heavy vehicle instructors, pass a driving test conducted by an external service provider.
You will receive
- a driving instructor condition on your driver licence.
- a receipt for fees paid if applicable.
- Identification card is forwarded by mail to the applicant within 2 weeks of the application being finalised.
You will be required to pay the fee.