Renewing your Licence
A courtesy renewal notice will be sent to you through the mail prior to your licence expiring.
It is important that you have given us your correct address please see (contact us) if you need to update your address. Failing to renew your drivers licence will result in you being unlicensed from midnight on the day of expiry of your licence.
- Renewing your Car & Motorcycle Learner Licence
- Full Expired Licences
- Photo Kits
- Ancillary Certificates
- Customer Provides
- Customer Receives
Before you can renew any learner licence you must pass the driver knowledge test.
Renewing L1 & L2 car licences
The L1 or L2 licence must be renewed within 28 days of the expiry or the minimum L1 & L2 period will be reset from the date of renewal;
- L1 - 3 continuous months before you can undertake the L2 practical driving assessment
- L2 - 9 continuous months before you can undertake the P2 practical driving assessment.
When your L1 or L2 licence is renewed the expiry date will be 3 years from date of payment if renewed on or after expiry. If renewed prior to expiry, the expiry date is increased by 3 years.
Renewing motorcycle learner licences
Your motorcycle learner licence will only be renewed if you have paid and booked for the pre-provisional training course or have passed the pre-learner motorcycle course again (valid for 3 months).
Your motorcycle licence must be renewed within 28 days of the expiry or you'll need to restart your 6 months continuous period again before you can sit the pre-provisional motorcycle training course.
When your motorcycle learner licence is renewed the expiry date will be 1 year from date of payment if renewed on or after expiry. If renewed prior to expiry, the expiry date is increased by 1 year.
Full Expired Licences
If you renew within 6 months the renewal is from the date of expiry. If your licence has been expired for more than 6 months, the renewal will be issued effective from the date of renewal and not the date the licence expired.
For licences which have been expired for over 5 years you must apply for a new licence, which means obtaining a learner licence and undergoing a practical driving assessment.
Photo kits are available if you are temporarily out of the State. You can only renew your licence once by a Photo Kit.
- How to renew your licence when out of Tasmania - Photokit Checklist (PDF 106KB)
- Photokit Application (PDF 306KB)
See below for the amount of time that you can renew your licence using a photo kit;
- one year if you are interstate
- two years if you are overseas
- five years if you are a member of the armed forces regardless of whether interstate or overseas.
These are renewed separately from a licence. You will receive a separate renewal notice prior to the expiry of the Ancillary licence. For more information see:
You need to provide the following information and attend a Service Tasmania shop or designated police stations, IN PERSON:
- completed the renewal notice
- for a learner - pass the driver knowledge test
- for a motorcycle learner show proof of your pre-provisional course payment and booking or your certificate of competence for the pre-learner training course (valid 3 months)
- have your photograph taken and provide your signature
- provide a current Tasmanian licence (can be expired up to 2 years) or Full Evidence of Identity
- provide a medical certificate if necessary, please see Driving and Your Health for more information.
- complete an application for pensioner concession if applicable.
You will receive:
- a receipted temporary licence, which is valid for 21 days
- a photo licence through the mail, which you should receive within 21 days from the date of renewal
- a receipt for the fees paid.
You need to pay: