Special circumstance bus pass
Special circumstance bus pass
A special circumstance student bus pass provides adult students who meet the eligibility criteria, with discounted travel on one or more fare charging bus services between home and school.
Discounted travel applies between 6:00 am and 7:00 pm on school days only. In certain circumstances you may be eligible for free travel.
You may be eligible if you are:
- aged 18 or older at 1 January in the year of study; and
- a full time student (600+ hours per year) enrolled at an education facility recognised by the Department of Education; and
- studying at a level that is no higher than is offered to any year 11 or year 12 student at a senior secondary college
AND you have not had the opportunity to complete the equivalent of two years post-year 10 study due to circumstances beyond your control, including:
- delayed entry at the start of your school life; or
- interrupted education progress due to disability, illness, family circumstances, frequent changes to school, or other circumstances; or
- the time required to complete two equivalent years of post-year 10 training and education has been extended because of disability; or
- late completion compared to other people in your age group due to initial overseas or interstate enrolment; or
- you have humanitarian entrant status.
Special circumstance free travel eligibility
You may be eligible for a Special circumstance student bus pass that enables you to travel for free, to and from school, if you are the holder of a current Concession Card or listed as a dependant on the card.
Accepted Concession Cards are:
- Centrelink Health Care Card (HCC)
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
- Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pension Concession Card
How to apply for a Special circumstance student bus pass
Section 6 of the application form must be completed by the Principal, Assistant Principal or Student Co-ordinator from your school.
The Principal, Assistant Principal or Student Co-ordinator must also provide a letter on official letterhead which states the following information about the student:
- name and date of birth
- enrolment details
- the reason beyond the student’s control for not previously being able to attend two years of post-year 10 study.
The application form will need to be submitted with the letter from your school. If you are applying for free travel you will also need to include a photocopy of the Concession Card.
You can submit your application via:
- email: email@example.com; or
- mail: Passenger Transport, GPO Box 1242, Hobart, TAS, 7001; or
- any Service Tasmania shop.
Note: Applications will not be accepted after 1 September of the current school year.
After you have applied:
- Your application will be assessed based on the eligibility criteria you have selected.
- Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process.
- You will be sent a letter advising of the outcome of your application.