Department of State GrowthTransport

Cancellation of Registration

Cancellation of registration can be required for a variety of reasons including theft, the vehicle being wrecked or thevehicle being taken interstate or overseas. For voluntary cancellation an administration fee may be charged.


Refunds are not available on the registration fee but are available for the:

  • motor tax
  • MAIB premium.

Refunds can only be issued to the registered operator of the vehicle. If a customer has acquired a vehicle and wishes to cancel the registration and obtain a refund on remaining registration, the customer must firstly become the registered operator (through transfer of the registration).

Interstate Registered Operators

A refund of registration may be obtained when vehicles previously registered in Tasmania are taken interstate and registered in another jurisdiction.

Accidents and Stolen Vehicles

Where vehicles are written off in an accident, evidence from an insurance company or the police is required relating to the accident. Owners of stolen vehicles that are not recovered can obtain a refund from the date the vehicle was stolen.

You will need to provide the following by mail or through a Service Tasmania shops to receive a cancellation and refund

  • surrender the number plates and certificate of registration, or
  • complete a statutory declaration form (MR162) if the plates have been lost or destroyed.

Accidents where the vehicle is written off

  • a confirmation in writing from their insurance company or loss assess, or
  • a police accident report which states the date of the accident

Stolen vehicles

  • complete a statutory declaration form (MR162) stating the date the vehicle was stolen or confirmation in writing from the police

Mainland registered operators

You will need to provide

  • documentation showing the vehicle has been re-registered elsewhere
  • a receipt for surrender of Tasmanian number plates

You will receive

  • receipt for any number plates
  • refund of registration through the mail (allow approximately 14 days for processing).

You will need to pay the fee (if charged for voluntary cancellation).