New Vehicles not Previously Registered
A range of new vehicles are registered without going through the Dealer Registration Scheme. Registration is obtained by direct application through Service Tasmania shops. Periodic registration can be obtained for light vehicles except common expiry vehicles from 1 July 2001.
Periodic or seasonal (for primary producers) registration can be obtained for heavy vehicles. Heavy snow vehicles may also be seasonally registered.
Types of vehicles
New registration by application through Service Tasmania shops is for vehicles that:
- have not been bought from a member of the Dealer Registration Scheme
- do not have a Type Approval Number
- may be home made trailers
- are new vehicles imported from interstate.
Vehicles registered using this procedure must be:
- less than two years old
- factory new
- have never been registered before.
Registration information for vehicles with special registration requirements can be found under Conditional registration:
Second level inspections
- refer to the process of returning the vehicle to the Approved Inspection Stations (AIS) specifically to have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verified, and
- are required if the VIN on a vehicle is not accepted by the Motor Registry System at the point of registration.
Make a booking for an inspection through an Approved Inspection Stations (AIS) for light vehicles or Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513 or international +61 3 6233 8011 for heavy vehicles.
Then take the vehicle to the inspection. The customer needs to undertake the following through Service Tasmania shops:
- complete an Application for Registration of a Motor Vehicle or Trailer Certificate of Premium Paid (MR31E)
- provide Proof of Entitlement
- provide their current Tasmanian photo licence or Full Evidence of Identity.
Other documentation to be provided for specific situations includes:
- a rebate form and associated statutory declaration
- a pension voucher or photocopy of their pension card (pensioners only)
- a heavy vehicle classification report
The customer will receive their:
- number plates
- certificate of registration
- Heavy vehicles will receive a registration label in the mail after payment has been made
- receipt for fees paid if applicable.
The customer needs to pay the fee.