The Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER) offers a free information service to the public (via the Internet) to establish the current status relating to registration, financial interests and other matters for registered vehicles.
This service can be found:
- directly at Vehicle Registration Status Enquiry
- through the DIER web site and click on Transport - Innovations - A Registration Status Enquiry Service.
Information providedThe information provided (print out available) includes :
- description of the make, type, colour and year of manufacture of the vehicle
- registration status (current or not)
- expiry date of the registratio
- vehicle identification number
- engine number
- whether there are any registered financial securities on the vehicle
- whether the vehicle is stolen or wrecked.
The information provided does not remove the responsibility for the customer to make their own enquiries.
Checking the register when transferring/disposing of a vehicleCustomers wishing to transfer or dispose of a vehicle should check the registration status of the vehicle through the service. Customers transferring a vehicle should check for any securities of interest on the vehicle.
The customer needs to undertake the following through Service Tasmania shops
- a request by telephone or in person
- through the Internet if facilities are available.
If in person, when enquiring about a security interest on the Database:
- use transaction 'MVSPHQ'
- enter the registration number of the vehicle and press the return key.
The customer will receive the following in addition to any fees paid for a print out of the information.
The customer needs to pay the fee for any written copy of information.