If you want to undertake work in the State Road Reservation you will require approval from the Department of State Growth. Works can include (but are not limited to) general roadworks, maintenance, pathways, vegetation management, fencing, structures, footpath and kerb/channelling. It also includes new or modifications to existing traffic signals, speed limits or road humps within the State Road Reservation.
You will need to fill in and submit an application:
- Other Works Permit Application (Not Access or Service Works) (PDF 116KB)
- Other Works Permit Application (Not Access or Service Works) (WORD 570KB)
Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth a minimum of twenty eight (28) days prior to the expected commencement date for works in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed.
No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.
The permit is issued in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935. The permit authorises the Permit Holder and/or their Contractor or Agent, to carry out the works described, subject to the conditions specified. A permit will be issued in the name of the Company initiating the work.
The granting of a planning permit by a Council does not indicate authority to carry out any works within the State Road Reservation, nor does it guarantee that the Department of State Growth will issue the permit for such works.
Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites. More information can be found:
- Traffic Control for Works on Roads Tasmanian Guidelines 2011 (PDF 560KB)
- Traffic Control for Works on Roads Tasmanian Guidelines 2011 (WORD 563KB)
For further information in relation to stock underpasses, please contact the Department’s Bridge Assets Team on 6166 3431.
- Guide for submission of Stock Underpass on State Roads (PDF 433KB)
- Guide for submission of Stock Underpass on State Roads (WORD 610KB)
- Standard Stock Underpass Drawing Set (PDF 525KB)
Applications can be sent:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please call the State Roads Division (03) 6166 3369.