Brooker Highway Junction Upgrades
Elwick, Goodwood and Howard Roads
Public enquiries about these works can be made to the 24 hour customer service phone number on 62777666 or via email at BrookerProject@Hazellbros.com.au. These enquiries will go through to Rod Headlam the Hazell Bros Community Liaison Officer who can also be contacted on 0419 335 089.
Click on the plan image to view a larger version
In early 2017, there will be major changes on the Brooker Highway:
- The roundabout where Howard Road and Renfrew Circle meet will be permanently removed.
- The roundabout will be replaced with a new, larger intersection controlled by traffic lights
- Northbound traffic on the Brooker Highway will begin to use new permanent lanes.
View more details here. This includes an RSS feed you can subscribe to.
The Department of State Growth is upgrading the Brooker Highway junctions at Howard, Goodwood and Elwick Roads.
These upgrades were identified as high priority in the 2012 Strategic Review of the Brooker Highway.
This project will:
- improve the efficiency of the Brooker Highway as a key strategic and freight corridor north of Hobart
- improve traffic flow and minimise peak-time bottlenecks
- improve connections between local communities.
The contract for this project has been awarded to Hazell Bros Group.
Works commenced in January 2016 with work to construct a new access to Timsbury Road from Howard Road.
- Full Plan
- Elwick/Goodwood intersection enlarged
- Howard/Renfrew intersection enlarged
- Elwick/Goodwood intersection photo realistic image
- Howard/Renfrew intersection photo realistic image
- Brooker Highway Northbound realistic video
- Elwick Road turning south onto Brooker Highway realistic video
- Goodwood Road turning south onto Brooker Highway realistic video
This project is funded by the Australian and Tasmanian Governments.
The proposed works include:
- replacement of Howard Road roundabout with a new signalised intersection
- realignment of Elwick Road and Goodwood Road to form one signalised intersection
- coordination of the signals at both intersections for maximum traffic flow efficiency, especially at peak travel times
- signalised pedestrian crossings at the intersections
- access to Timsbury Road from Howard Road
- three through-lanes in each direction
- green marked zones for cyclists at some intersections
- shared pathway for pedestrians and cyclists along Brooker Hwy.
Start of works: January 2016
Completion of works: Mid 2017
- This is a very busy section of highway. Construction will be staged and traffic managed to minimise the impact on traffic flow and on nearby businesses and residents.
- Vehicles will be able to use two sealed lanes in both directions on the Brooker Highway during construction.
- Some impacts on the travelling public are unfortunately unavoidable. You will need to allow extra time for your journey at all times of day.
- Variable message boards will be placed in advance of the works site.
- Radio updates will occur on the regular traffic reports.
- Construction activity will be restricted to minimise disruption during the Hobart Cup and other special events in the locality. Works will cease during Hobart Show week.
For further information about the project please contact the Department of State Growth Project Manager, Vanessa King, on 03 6166 3424 or by email at email@example.com