Huon Highway Summerleas Road Intersection Upgrade
To stay up to date with this project, visit the latest news page (link below), or subscribe to the RSS feed on the latest news page:
Public enquiries about these works can be made to the customer service phone number on 0427 718 375 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
These enquiries will go through directly to the Contractor at VEC Shaw Joint Venture.
Click on the plan image to view larger version.
This project is located at the intersection of the Huon Highway and Summerleas Road, adjacent to Kingston.
Features and safety benefits of the project
The purpose of the project is to improve the safety of the intersection.
Planned upgrades include construction of:
- a grade separated interchange with Summerleas Road passing under the Huon Highway
- roundabouts on Summerleas Road (either side of the Huon Highway) to provide access to and from the Huon Highway
- an overtaking lane on the Huon Highway for traffic travelling towards the Huon Valley (lane beginning immediately north of Kingston interchange)
- a flexible safety barrier to separate traffic on the Huon Highway
- facilities for cyclists and pedestrians
- safer bus stop locations.
Why is the Department of State Growth doing work at this intersection?
The Huon Highway is a key intra-regional corridor in Southern Tasmania connecting major industry sectors such as forestry, aquaculture and agriculture to central Hobart and other destinations.
At the junction with Summerleas Road, the Highway passes adjacent to Kingston, one of Greater Hobart's highest growth residential areas. Summerleas Road is a major connection across the Highway linking residential areas to major commercial, educational and other facilities at Kingston.
The existing intersection has a history of crashes, notably those related to right-turn movements from Huon Highway to Summerleas Road and cross-highway traffic on Summerleas Road.
- Concept design Jan-Mar 2016
- Community consultation Mar-April 2016
- Final design completed September 2016
- Tender advertised October 2016
- Start of works February 2017
- Completion of works Mid 2018
This project is funded by the Australian and Tasmanian Governments.
30 November 2017
1 November 2017
16 October 2017
08 August 2017 - Photo courtesy of VEC Shaw Joint Venture
25 July 2017
14 June 2017
19 May 2017
Temporary side road 19 May 2017
Construction 4 March 2017
For construction queries please call the contractor on 0427 718 375.
For any project design queries please call 1800 753 878 or contact the Department of State Growth on email@example.com.
Updated Monday, 26 February 2018.