Department of State GrowthTransport

Learner Exemptions

What is the exemption to the minimum car Learner Period?

Your L2 car learner licence is issued with a minimum continuous period of 9 months before you can undertake the P1 driving assessment.

This period is to encourage you to get as much supervised practice and experience as possible before driving solo. Evidence shows the first 6 to 12 months as a P1 licence holders is when you are most likely to be in a crash.

However it is recognised that there are circumstances where you need to progress to your P1 licence sooner. So in some exceptional circumstances you may be able to convince the Registrar of Motor Vehicles that you are entitled to an exemption.

To be eligible to apply you must

  • hold a current L2 car learner licence (not a L1 car or motorcycle learner)
  • have held your L2 car learner licence for at least 6 months
  • be 17 years or older
  • have logged at least 50 hours on-road driving experience in your L2 logbook (you cannot use any hours that you have driven in the L1 stage towards the 50 hours)
  • have no other means of transportation available to you, this also includes public transport
  • have no periods of disqualifications or suspensions
  • meet at least one of the criteria below; 
    • your will lose employment or potential employment and/or
    • you or your dependent will be unable to get regular medical attention needed as a result of a medical illness and/or
    • you have no means of getting to a Jobstart training course, college, TAFE, university or recognised training institution and/or
    • you have no means of getting your dependants to a school or a child care facility.