Department of State GrowthTransport

When is a licence required

In most situations a driver licence is required if a motor vehicle is being used on public streets. The class of licence required depends on the type of vehicle being driven.

Vehicles exceeding 10 km/h

Generally if a motor vehicle can exceed 10 km/h along the flat on public streets (including footpaths) under normal driving conditions, the following are required:

  • the vehicle needs to be registered
  • a driver licence is required.

Exceptions are push bikes with a motor of 200 watts or less and some vehicles which travel 10 km/h or less. While a range of exemptions apply for the registration of vehicles, a driver licence may still be required.

Car licence is often sufficient

Customers do not require special driver licences for using the following vehicles on public streets (including footpaths):

  • wheelchairs which exceed 10 km/h
  • forklifts (industry certificates or requirements may still apply)
  • tractors
  • machinery.

For all these vehicles a class C (car) driver licence or a class R (motor cycle) is sufficient depending on the configuration of the vehicle.