Taxi, hire vehicle and ride sourcing operators
It is important that there is a viable taxi industry as a point to point transport option:
- during the COVID-19 restrictions to enable access to essential services, and
- following the COVID-19 restrictions to ensure sufficient supply of taxis to meet demand when restrictions are raised.
The Tasmanian Government has introduced the Taxi Relief Package to help the taxi industry to:
- keep operating during the pandemic, and/or
- emerge from hibernation after the restrictions due to the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
The Taxi Relief Package:
- extends the maximum operating age until the end of the emergency order for taxis that reached their maximum operating age between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- provides registration relief for taxi operators for a taxi with registration that expires between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020 for operators to either:
- freeze the registration if the taxi is not being used, or
- extend registration for 12 months at no cost if the taxi is continuing to be used.
For more information go to www.transport.tas.gov.au/registration/business_vehicle_registration_relief_package
The Tasmanian Government has already helped industry by:
- waiving the requirement to pay the annual administration fee in 2020 and providing immediate relief to holders of perpetual licences and owners of wheelchair accessible taxi and owner operator taxi licences (at a total cost of around $400,000), and
- deferring the 193 accreditation audits which were due between 1 April 2020 and 30 September 2020 for six months, so operators will not need to pay around $350 each in audit fees during this period.
Taxi and Hire Vehicle operators