Free travel bus pass
Students who travel on a fare charging bus service may be eligible for a Student bus pass for free travel, if they meet certain criteria.
Students who have been approved for a Student bus pass for free travel are not required to pay a fare when travelling between home and school. Free travel applies between 6:00 am and 7:00 pm on school days only.
To be eligible for a student bus pass for free travel, the student must be:
- under 18, or turning 18 in the year of study; and
- a full-time student (600+ hours per year), enrolled at an education facility recognised by the Department of Education.
AND meet one or more of the following eligibility criteria:
The student is the holder of a current Concession Card or is listed as a dependant on a current Concession Card.
Accepted Concession Cards are:
- Centrelink Health Care Card (HCC)
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
- Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pension Concession Card
Home area school eligibility
The student is attending their rural home area school but the only bus service available to them charges a fare.
Care and Protection Order eligibility
The student is under a Care and Protection Order. When applying for a student bus pass for free travel, the application form must be supported by a letter from the Case Manager on official letterhead.
Free transfer eligibility
The student is required to travel on more than one fare charging bus service (operated by different bus service providers), between home and school. A free transfer is provided so the student will only pay a fare on the first fare charging bus service.
How to apply for a Student bus pass for free travel
The fastest way to apply for a Student bus pass for free travel is online. Complete the online application form.
After you have applied:
- Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process.
- The applicant will receive a letter from Passenger Transport to advise them of the outcome of the application.
- Until a letter is received to advise if free travel eligibility has been approved, the student will be required to pay a fare when travelling on the bus.
Expiry of free travel
Your free travel entitlement will expire at the end of grade 2, grade 6, grade 10, grade 11 and grade 12.
If your free travel entitlement expires this year, and you still meet the eligibility criteria, you will need to renew your eligibility for next year by reapplying for free travel.
To renew your free travel eligibility, complete an online application or download the Student bus pass for free travel application form.
Applications for the 2019 school year can be submitted from 15 November 2018. If approved, you will receive notification of your free travel eligibility from 7 January 2019.
Cost of Student bus pass for free travel
There is no cost when you apply for a new, or renew your expired, Student bus pass for free travel.
Lost, stolen or damaged cards
If your Student bus pass for free travel has been lost, stolen or damaged you can
- apply online for a replacement card and pay a fee of $11.00 by Visa or Mastercard, or
- download the Replacement student bus pass for free travel application form (PDF, 88.23 KB), and visit a Service Tasmania shop to pay the $11.00 fee by cash, or debit/credit card.
If your card has stopped working through no fault of your own, you will need to visit a Service Tasmania shop to complete the form and surrender your card. No fee will be charged under these circumstances.
If you travel on Metro or Tassielink only
- you will need to apply directly through Metro for a replacement student Greencard. Visit www.metrotas.com.au for more information.
If you travel on Merseylink urban services only
- you will need to apply directly through Merseylink for a replacement Smart Card. Visit www.merseylink.com.au for more information.