Department of State GrowthTransport

Club Event Registration

Vintage or street rod registration is known as club event registration.

Club event registration allows members of a recognised car club (approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles) to use their vehicle in either a club sanctioned event or for general use 30 days outside of club events. These vehicles attract a reduced rate of registration and third party insurance.

For a vehicle to be classified as:

  • Vintage - manufactured more than 30 years prior to the date of application
  • A street rod is a light vehicle that has been modified for safe use and has the body and frame that was manufactured prior to 1949 or a replica of a vehicle of which the body and frame was manufactured prior to 1949.

Once registered certain conditions apply to the vehicles use:

  • Only to be used 30 days per year outside of club events, all other times use must be sanctioned by club
  • For use outside of a club event a logbook is to be carried at all times and the particulars of each daily journey undertaken recorded in the logbook
  • The vehicle cannot carry a load and must not be used for hire or reward at any time.

Other conditions may be applied at the time of registration.

Club registration

To become a recognised car club the club must provide:

  • their club constitution
  • submission of dates of at least 2/3 of the dates and the venues of scheduled rallies (the remainder can be at the club's discretion)
  • nomination of suitable scrutineers (names and addresses)
  • nomination of an acceptable committee person to act as controller of the use of membership vehicles
  • nomination of a procedure for approving rallies
  • specification of acceptable internal discipline procedures
  • a sample of the club's roadworthiness certificate
  • other information that may be required by the Registrar.


Vintage cars are recognised by a number plate prefix of VC in blue writing on a white background. Some vintage car plates have special club logos and slogans. Contact 1300 135 513 for further details. Street Rod plates have the prefix "ROD" and 3 numbers (plates have black writing on a white background).


When renewing club event registration (vintage/street rod registration) the registered operator is required to provide a declaration signed by an official of their club confirming that they are still a financial member of the club.


When applying to transfer the registration of a vintage/street rod type of vehicle, the new operator must provide a declaration signed by an official of their club in order to be eligible for vintage registration and pay reduced fees. Transfer fees apply, however vehicles in this category are Duty exempt.

Converting to/from normal registration

If an applicant has a club event registered vehicle and wish to fully register the vehicle they must undertake the procedure for re-issue of registration. The club event registration would be cancelled and, if applicable, a refund issued. If an applicant has a normally registered vehicle and wishes to register the vehicle as a club event registration, the existing registration plates must be surrendered and the registration will be cancelled and if applicable, a refund issued. The vehicle can then be registered as a club event registration subject to an inspection carried out by the club and on production of the required documentation.

You will need to provide

You will need to undertake the following in person at Service Tasmania shops:

  • complete an Application for Registration form (MR205)
  • provide a declaration, signed by a club official who has inspected the vehicle, which:
    • states the applicant is a member of a vintage car or street rod club approved by the Registrar
    • identifies the car (eg engine and chassis number), and
    • states that the vehicle is roadworthy
  • provide their current Tasmanian photo licence or Full Proof of Identity provide Proof of Entitlement to register the vehicle.

You will receive

  • Certificate of Registration
  • Certificate of Approved Operations (carried in the vehicle at all times)
  • VC or ROD plates.


You will need to pay the registration fee.