Special Interest Vehicle
Special Interest Vehicle (SIV) registration is a registration scheme which allows certain categories of vehicles to be used on a limited basis. These vehicles are exempt from motor tax and attract a lower rate of third party insurance (MAIB) than fully registered vehicles.
The fees applying to Special Interest vehicles can be found here.
To be considered for SIV registration the vehicle must fall into one of the following categories:
- Over 30 years of age in original or restored condition. NOTE: Campervans are excluded from the SIV scheme.
- A rally vehicle used in rallies organised by an Approved motorsport organisation. Approved motorsport organisations are; Confederation of Australian Motor Sports (CAMS) and Australian Auto-Sport Alliance (AASA).
- A vehicle adapted and modified exclusively for charitable events (eg TasBash, Make a Wish Foundation, etc.)
Once registered certain conditions apply to the vehicles use:
- Only to be used 104 days per annum
- A logbook to be carried at all times and the particulars of each daily journey undertaken recorded in the logbook
- The operator must have another fully registered motor vehicle in their name
- The vehicle cannot carry a load and must not be used for hire or reward.
Other conditions may be applied at the time of registration.
Further information for special interest registration can be found in the handbook and application form (MR161).
You will need to provide
You will need to undertake the following in person at Service Tasmania shops or designated police stations:
- complete an application form (MR161)
- provide an inspection report from an Approved Inspection Station
- provide an Approval in Principle letter (rally and charitable categories only)
- provide previous registration plates (if applicable)
- provide their current Tasmanian photo licence or full evidence of identity
- provide Proof of Entitlement to register the vehicle.
You will receive
The customer will receive:
- Certificate of registration
- Certificate of Approved Operations
- SI registration plates
You will need to pay the registration fee.