Special purpose vehicles are constructed primarily for:
- rolling or laying material
- or the manufacturing or processing of goods.
Requirements for special purpose vehicles:
- have a primary function not related to the carriage of goods
- travel between sites for the purpose of carrying out specialised work at the sites.
Examples are motorised cranes and cherry pickers (elevated platform vehicle).
Special purpose vehicles are recognised by a number plate prefix of WV ****, in red writing on a yellow background. Exception: Fire trucks, which are issued with standard or custom plates.
Work Vehicles 4.5t GVM or less
Vehicles equal to or less than 4.5t do not qualify as a special purpose vehicle. These are to be registered as a normal registration.
You will need to provide
Make a booking for an inspection to assess suitability for special purpose / work vehicle registration through:
- an Approved Inspection Stations (AIS) for light vehicles
- Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513 or international +61 3 6169 9017 for heavy vehicles.
Then firstly attend the inspection with the vehicle and then undertake the following through Service Tasmania shops:
- complete the appropriate application form
- complete a statutory Declaration form (MR162) that details the purpose/s for which the vehicle will be used
- provide Proof of Entitlement
- provide their current Tasmanian photo licence or Full Proof of Identity
- provide the Heavy Vehicle Classification Report.
You will receive
- Certificate of Registration
- WV plate/s - red and yellow.
You will need to pay the fee.