Department of State GrowthTransport

Registered Operator

A Registered Operator is the person(s) or body corporate recorded in the register as being responsible for the vehicle.

Role and Responsibilities

A registered operator is responsible for the vehicle and will be held responsible for its use including:

  • payment of related vehicle fees and charges
  • any related fines and sanctions* unless, in certain circumstances, the registered operator was not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence
  • ensuring the vehicle is roadworthy
  • notifying the Registrar of Motor Vehicles of any changes to vehicle details.
  • From early 2005 if joint registered operators only the designated operator will be responsible.

Registered Operator eligibility

To be a registered operator you must be able to establish you are one of the following:

  • an individual person who has reached the appropriate age (see below);
  • a body corporate such as a company or an incorporated association;
  • a government department; or
  • a government authority.

Different registered operator criteria apply for light and heavy vehicles.

Light vehicles (Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) 4.5 tonnes or less)

  • a body corporate (eg a company or incorporated association); or
  • one or two people who are at least 16 years of age.

If two (joint) registered operators are recorded for light vehicles, one of the two registered operators must be recorded as the designated operator of the vehicle.

Heavy vehicles ( GVM over 4.5 tonnes)

  • A body corporate (eg a company or incorporated association); or
  • one person only who is at least 18 years of age (no joint registered operators)

Establishing registered operator eligibility

Before you can become a registered operator you must provide:

For an individual: Full proof of identity must be established.

For a body corporate: you must establish the legal status of the organisation. To do this you must provide either:

  • an Australian Company Number certificate (ACN) issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC); or
  • an Incorporated Association Number as issued on the Certificate of Incorporation obtained through the Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading or interstate equivalent.

Nominating an Eligible Registered Operator

Heavy vehicles cannot be registered in joint names. For all types of registered vehicles, a registered operator can no longer be an unincorporated association or a business.

If the registered operator of a vehicle is ineligible, an eligible registered operator must be nominated in writing.  Providing there is no change in the beneficial ownership (form below), this can be done free of charge.  Proof of identity or legal status will be required.

Complete the Nomination of Registered Operator form, attach the necessary documents and

  • lodge it at Service Tasmania
  • mail it to Registrar of Motor Vehicles, GPO Box 1002, Hobart  Tas  7001