Department of State GrowthTransport

Advertising a Community Event

If you want to advertise a public event by placing a temporary sign(s) in the State Road Reservation you will require approval from the Department of State Growth.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

Applications must be received a minimum of 28 days before the first date you want to display the sign, in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed and for successful applicants to arrange for the manufacture of a sign.

It is an offence to erect a sign in the State road reserve without written authorisation.
Approval is granted in accordance with the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.

The purpose of a sign is to inform the public of the event.  For a sign to be effective it must be capable of being read at a glance.  There should be minimal content which can be read with ease. Any graphic should be secondary to the message. If a sponsor logo is required it must occupy no more than 25% of the total sign face and be located in the bottom 25% of the sign face.

Signs must meet the requirements below before approval will be considered.

  1. Signs must be no larger than 3.0m2.  
  2. Signs must be a suitable outdoor banner or made of hard form, light weight materials (e.g. coreflute) and be able to withstand wind, rain or other natural forces.  
  3. Signs must be easily read and may ONLY contain the following information:    
    1. Name of event      
    2. Location of event      
    3. Date(s) of event      
    4. Time(s) of event (if applicable)      

Further details in relation to sign requirements and installation are available in the Department’s “Community Event Signs for Advertising Events - Conditions”.

Approved signs may only be displayed in locations pre-approved by the Department of State Growth.

Signs not displaying the Department's authorisation may be removed by its maintenance contractor. Confiscated signs are held by the Contractor for 30 days. For details on retrieval of signs, please contact the Department on (03) 6166 3369.

Applications can be sent: 

By Mail:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001        

By Email:


Please call the State Roads Division (03) 6166 3369.