Department of State GrowthTransport

Organising a Community Event

If you want to use a State Road for a public event, you will require approval from the Department of State Growth.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth a minimum of twenty (20) business days prior to the expected commencement date for works in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed.

No event can occur on a State Road without written authorisation. Approval is granted in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.

If your event requires full or partial closure of a road, you will need to apply first to the Tasmania Police.

If you are planning a public event you will require a Place of Assembly licence under the Public Health Act 1997. You will need to apply to the relevant Council.

Before applying you should make sure you have:

  • Made adequate provision for access by vehicles, pedestrians, public transport and emergency services.
  • Provided adequate parking.
  • Planned to advertise your event, particularly if it involves road closures or traffic diversions.
  • Consulted with affected stakeholders.

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites. More information can be found:

More information about organising Community Events on the State Road network can be found at Temporary Signs for Advertising Community Events.

Applications can be sent:

By Mail:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001

By Email:


Please call the State Roads Division (03) 6166 3369.