Department of State GrowthTransport

New or Altered Road Access

If you want an access (driveway) from your property onto a State road, or want to upgrade or modify an existing access, you will require approval from the Department of State Growth.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth a minimum of twenty (20) business days prior to the expected commencement date for works in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed.

No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.

The permit is issued in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935. The permit authorises the Permit Holder and/or their Contractor or Agent, to carry out the works described, subject to the conditions specified. A permit will only be issued in the name of the title holder of the property.

Things the Department of State Growth consider when assessing your application include:

  • The strategic importance of the road you want to access.
  • Whether the road has been proclaimed Limited Access. If it has, you will not be able to get a new access, and will only be able to modify an existing access in certain circumstances.
  • Speed limit.
  • Traffic volumes.
  • Sight distances. You may be able to improve these through trimming or removing vegetation on your property.
  • The intended use of the land. If you intend to develop the land and will need a Council planning permit to do this (e.g. build a house), you will need to get that permit before applying for your Access Works Permit.
  • The types and numbers of vehicles that will be using the proposed access.

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites. More information can be found:

Applications can be sent:

By Mail:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001

By Email:


Please call the State Roads Division (03) 6166 3369.