Department of State GrowthTransport

Services Works

If you want to undertake service works in the State Road Reservation you will require approval from the Department of State Growth. Service works can include (but are not limited to) gas or electrical connections, watermains, stormwater/culverts and any pipework.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth a minimum of twenty (20) business days prior to the expected commencement date for works in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed.

No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.

The permit is issued in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935. The permit authorises the Permit Holder and/or their Contractor or Agent, to carry out the works described, subject to the conditions specified. A permit will be issued in the name of the Service Authority or Service Owner.

For telecommunication works see Telecommunications.

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites. More information can be found:

Applications can be sent:

By Mail:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001

By Email:


Please call the State Roads Division (03) 6166 3369.