Department of State GrowthTransport

Stormwater Discharge

If you need to concentrate and discharge stormwater or drainage onto the State road network you will require approval from the Department of State Growth.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth a minimum of twenty (20) business days before the expected commencement date for works in order to allow sufficient time for the application to be assessed.

Consent is issued in accordance with the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.

Applications must include a drainage plan, including catchment area, flows and drainage design for any area discharging to the State road reserve.

Where Works Are Required for Drainage

Where works are needed to allow for drainage and/or enlargement of the existing State Road drainage infrastructure is required in order to carry any additional drainage, approval from the Department of State Growth is required. You will need to submit a Service Works Permit application instead of the above application to discharge stormwater.

The proponent is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of their own infrastructure.


Applications can be sent by the following methods.

By mail to
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001

By email:


if you have any questions, please call the State Roads Division on (03) 6166 3369.