Department of State GrowthTransport

Use of State Road for Filming

If you want to use a State Road for feature, documentary, promotional or advertising and film production, you will require approval from the Department of State Growth.

You will need to fill in and submit an application:

A State road cannot be closed for filming purposes.

Requests for filming that impact on a State road will not be supported by the Department if they:

  • compromise the safety of road users and there is a risk or unnecessary disturbance to the public
  • cause a major disruption to traffic flow or will disrupt traffic for an extended period of time
  • risk damaging road infrastructure
  • affect current road projects
  • lack sufficient supporting information
  • are not considered to be in the public interest.

It is recommended that permit holders obtain adequate public liability insurance coverage. StateGrowth accepts no responsibility for any personal injury, damage or loss in any way arising during the filming on a State road.


Applications can be sent by the following methods.

By mail to:
Department of State Growth
GPO Box 536, Hobart TAS 7001

By email:


If you have any questions, please call the State Roads Division on (03) 6166 3369.