East Derwent Highway Upgrade - Golf Links Road to Sugarloaf Road
The Tasmanian Government has committed to upgrading the section of the East Derwent Highway between Golf Links Road and Sugarloaf Road to make it safer and improve traffic flow.
About the project
The project will make the road safer, and improve travel time reliability. It will increase the capacity of the road, and make this section consistent with nearby sections of the highway.
During the project we will:
- make the highway wider to have four lanes of traffic – two lanes in each direction
- build a new concrete raised central median and safety barrier to reduce the risk of crashes
- install new traffic lights at the upgraded intersection at Clinton Road and Geilston Bay Road
- build safer access off the highway to Araluen Street, Lindisfarne North Primary School and Geilston Bay Recreation Area
- add an off-road shared path and on-road cycling lanes
- improve the left-turn pocket at the Sugarloaf Road intersection.
What is happening now?
We are doing field investigations in October and November. This is part of the design development phase. These investigations will provide valuable information for the design.
During the investigations we will thoroughly assess the local environment to make sure our planned works will have minimal impact on the area’s flora, fauna and cultural heritage.
Have your say on the concept design
Public consultation is open from Monday 11 November to Monday 25 November 2019.
You can view and comment on the design concept by:
- using the online interactive map
- visiting the display at Clarence City Council foyer, 38 Bligh Street, Rosny Park
- or coming to a staffed public display session at the Lindisfarne Anglican Church Hall, 54 Lincoln Street, Lindisfarne, on
- Thursday 14 November, between 4–6 pm
- Saturday 16 November, between 10 am–1 pm
You can also view the concept design below. Click on the image to view a larger version.
The project is currently in the design development phase and is anticipated to be advertised for tender in mid 2020, with construction beginning mid – late 2020.
For more information about the project please contact:
Senior Stakeholder Engagement Consultant, Jacobs
Phone:03 6221 3711