Tasman Highway - Great Eastern Drive
The Tasmanian Government has committed funding to upgrade the Great Eastern Drive to enhance the experience for the increasing visitor numbers and improve safety for all road users.
Some works are already underway, or scheduled to take place over the coming years. We want your feedback, ideas and suggestions for further improvements to the drive, such as turning facilities at entries to popular tourism experiences, pull over areas for slow vehicles and for vehicles stopping at scenic viewpoints and road widening locations. Have your say on our interactive map.
The Great Eastern Drive is a 176 km long section of the Tasman Highway that extends from Orford to St Helens on Tasmania’s East Coast.
Why is the Department of State Growth doing this work?
The project aims to enhance driver experience, improve overall safety, and travel time reliability.
Once complete, it is expected that the Great Eastern Drive will be better equipped to accommodate higher traffic volumes, including commuters and tourist traffic.
Works will be undertaken in stages, with Stage 1 expected to start in late 2018.
Stage 1 works include:
- Installation of an northbound overtaking lane at Cranbrook (north of Glen Gala Road)
- Junction upgrades to:
- Beaumaris Beach
- Dark Hollow Creek
- Freshwater Street
- Skyline Drive.
- Improvements to the pull over area at Four Mile Creek.
Stage 2 works are scheduled to start in mid-2019, and include:
- Installation of a southbound overtaking lane at Cherry Tree Hill (south of Devils Corner Vineyard).
- Improvements to the Coles Bay Left Turn Junction.
- Dedicated right hand turn lanes at Basin Creek and Flagstaff Road.
There are more future improvements planned for the Great Eastern Drive, including:
- Road widening and safety treatments at entries to popular tourism experiences, including wineries and cellar doors. These are expected to built from 2018-22.
- Road improvements and overtaking facilities from St Helens to Dianas Basin. These works are currently under design, with construction forecast for 2019-21.
- Improvements to the road, as an extension of Stage 1 works. These works are expected to be built from 2021-23.
- Extension of the Great Eastern Drive to Binalong Bay Road, including upgrades to the road. Construction is forecast for 2021-22.
For further information about the project please contact the Project Manager, Stefano Conforti, on 6166 3379 or by email at: email@example.com