Tasman Highway - Great Eastern Drive
The Tasmanian Government has committed funding to upgrade the Great Eastern Drive to enhance the experience for the increasing visitor numbers and improve safety for all road users. The project aims to enhance driver experience, improve overall safety, and travel time reliability.
Some works are already completed, or scheduled to take place over the coming years.
The Great Eastern Drive is a 176 kilometre long section of the Tasman Highway that extends from Orford to St Helens on Tasmania’s East Coast.
Works will be undertaken in stages.
The next stage of works went to tender in mid 2019. Construction started on 30 September 2019 and is expected to be completed by mid-2020, weather permitting.
- improvements to the Coles Bay Road Left Turn Junction
- dedicated right turn lanes at Basin Creek and Flagstaff Road.
There are more future improvements planned for the Great Eastern Drive, including:
- road widening and safety treatments at entries to popular tourism experiences, including wineries and cellar doors
- road improvements and overtaking facilities between St Helens and Dianas Basin
- extension of the Great Eastern Drive to Binalong Bay Road, including upgrades to the road
- further safety improvements as required.
The first stage of works started in late 2018 and were completed in May 2019.
- installation of a northbound overtaking lane at Cranbrook (north of Glen Gala Road)
- four junction upgrades in the Beaumaris Beach area to:
- Beaumaris Beach
- Dark Hollow Creek
- Freshwater Street
- Skyline Drive
- Improvements to the pull over area at Four Mile Creek.
During 2018 we asked the community to identify areas for improvement, highlight any safety concerns and make suggestions about how and where changes could be made. This information will inform a planning study that will provide the basis for future projects, subject to funding.
For further information about the project please contact the Project Manager, Stefano Conforti, on 6166 3379 or by email at: email@example.com
30 Sep 2019