Huon Highway / Sandfly Road Intersection Safety Upgrade
The State Government has committed $2 million to deliver immediate safety improvements for the Huon Highway / Sandfly Road Intersection.
About the project
Over the last 10 years there have been 33 reported crashes at the intersection: 1 serious injury, 8 minor injury, 7 requiring first aid and 17 property damage only. The main type of crash involves vehicles turning right out of Sandfly road towards Kingston.
The project will improve road safety, freight transport movements and safer bus movements at the intersection.
The proposed upgrade includes:
- wider medians providing room for buses and trucks to wait safely
- traffic islands designed to improve line of sight for all road users
- new slip lane from Sandfly Road south for traffic travelling to Huonville
- removal of one of the uphill lanes through the intersection by relocating the start of the overtaking lane to the west of the intersection
- improved lighting at the intersection.
Two community information sessions were held on 3 and 6 July at the Sandfly Hall.
The feedback period is now closed.
Community consultation: June - July 2019
Tender advertised: August 2019
Start of works: Late 2019
Completion of works: Early 2020
Click on the image to view a larger version.
For further information about the project, please contact the Project Manager, Mary O’Hare, on (03) 6166 3435 or by email, email@example.com.
22 Jul 2019