Richmond Road Master Plan
The Richmond Road Master Plan addresses current issues for road users travelling between Cambridge and Richmond, with a focus on safety.
Richmond Road carries a diverse mix of traffic; from commuters to agricultural vehicles, tourists, and cyclists. It also has a disappointing crash history with some 86 crashes reported – including ten fatal or serious – between 2005 and 2015.
The revised Master Plan
Following community feedback, the Department has revised the Richmond Road Master Plan. The plan now covers a length of 10.6 km and aims to improve safety by providing wider lanes, 1.5 metre sealed shoulders, road alignment improvements, upgrades to Boyes Street and Malcolms Hut Road junctions, and six sealed lay-by areas to allow slow vehicles to pull over.
The revised Master Plan consists of eight sections:
- Section 1: A new link road connecting Richmond Road to Acton Interchange. Detailed design and planning work for this link road is well underway.
- Section 2: Richmond Golf Club to the University of Tasmania Farm. These works have been completed and included shoulder sealing, drainage improvements and upgrades to Denholms Road junction.
- Section 3, 4 and 5: Section 3 - University of Tasmania Farm to Belbin Rivulet, Section 4 - Boyes Street Junction and Section 5 - Boyes Street to Stony Creek. Planning is well underway for these sections.
- Section 6: Malcolms Hut Road Junction to Dry Creek – construction started in January 2019 and will be complete by mid-2019.
- Section 7: Prickly Hollow Bridge to Duckhole Rivulet and Section 8: North of Duckhole Rivulet. The project is in the early planning stage.
Following the implementation of the Master Plan, the Department will commission an independent review of Richmond Road. The review will establish an appropriate speed limit – with consideration of the completed road widening and safety improvement works.
Public information sessions to view the Master Plan were held in Cambridge and Richmond in September 2017.
Project update: January 2019
The contract for Section 6 has been awarded DCS Civil Pty Ltd. Work started in January 2019 and will be complete by mid-2019. with works to start in January 2019 and be complete by mid-2019.
These works will include construction of sealed shoulders along the section of road between Malcolms Hut Road to Dry Creek and upgrades to Malcolms Hut Road junction.
For further information about the project please contact the Project Manager, Stefano Conforti, on 6166 3379 or by email at: email@example.com
For construction queries for Section 6 works please contact Simon Heazlewood, at DCS Civil Tas Pty Ltd on mobile 0457 099 949.
Updated Monday 7 January 2019.