South East Traffic Solution
The South East Traffic Solution aims to help maintain the liveability of Sorell and the Southern Beaches by improving travel time reliability through a more efficient and safer road network.
South East Traffic Solution Projects
Project commitments under the South East Traffic Solution include:
- Arthur Highway Overtaking Lane - an overtaking lane on the Arthur Highway, south of Iron Creek Bridge.
- Midway Point Intersection Solution - Replacing the roundabout with signalised intersection.
- Sorell Southern Bypass - A bypass between the Tasman Highway near the Giblin Drive intersection and the Arthur Highway near Nugent Road.
- Planning for duplication of Tasman Highway between Airport and Sorell - Planning to widen both causeways and duplicate McGees Bridge.
- Tasman Highway - Hobart Airport to Midway Point causeway - Turning facilities and two further lanes linking the first causeway with the new Hobart Airport Interchange.
- Hobart Airport Interchange Upgrade - Replacing the roundabout with a new interchange.
Have Your Say
We're asking the community for their feedback on options for
- Sorell Southern Bypass
- Hobart Airport to Midway Point causeway
- Midway Point Intersection Solution
Consultation is now open. Visit our interactive map to view the options and ensure your feedback is heard. Feedback closes on Friday 28 June 2019.
These projects will provide safer and more reliable travel in south-east Tasmania for locals and visitors.
The Tasmanian Government has also made a commitment to:
- In January 2019, a network of revised bus services was launched in Southern Tasmania. This includes a significant increase in services to a number of locations including Sorell and the Huon Valley.
- Start planning to improve Tasman Highway access ramps at Rosny
The Sorell to Hobart Planning Study is underway to identify the most effective and cost efficient ways of reducing congestion and providing peak period travel time reliability on the Tasman Highway between Sorell and Hobart.
About the South East Traffic Solution
The Sorell area is leading population growth in Tasmania’s south, increasing at nearly three times the rate of the state as a whole. With that growth comes increasing pressures on the transport system leading to traffic congestion and reduced travel time reliability at peak times for commuters and visitors travelling between the Southern Beaches, Sorell and Hobart.
Further pressure on the local road network is generated by strong growth in tourist traffic, with Sorell at the junction of the Tasman Highway and Arthur Highway, carrying through-traffic from the Great Eastern Drive from the north, and Port Arthur and the Tasman Peninsula from the south-east.
The South East Traffic Solution is a multi-level short and medium term Tasmanian Government vision that recognises the need to preserve the lifestyle attractions of Sorell and the Southern Beaches as commuter satellite communities.