Skip to content

Keep up to date with the latest COVID-19 information for Tasmania -

Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1About the permit

No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.

The permit is issued in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935. The permit authorises the Permit Holder and/or their Contractor or Agent, to carry out the works described, subject to the conditions specified. A permit will be issued in the name of the Company initiating the work.

The granting of a planning permit by a Council does not indicate authority to carry out any works within the State road reservation. It also does not guarantee that the Department will issue the permit for such works.

2Traffic control

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites. More information can be found:

3Stock underpasses

For more information about stock underpasses, please contact the Department’s Bridge Assets Team on 6166 3431

4Privately owned infrastructure (e.g. gas, water, pipelines, pathways, etc.)

If your application involves installation of privately owned infrastructure in the State road reserve, you may need to enter into a lease or licence agreement to occupy or use the Crown land, pursuant to the Crown Lands Act 1976.

Your application for a lease/licence and works permit will be assessed concurrently and if approved, will be issued together, subject to any specified conditions.

No works can be undertaken until both a lease/licence and works permit have been issued. For more information, or to apply for a combined lease/licence and works permit, visit the Crown land leases and licences page.


Before starting the online application all necessary documents must be available for uploading.

Mandatory Documents:

  • Copy of Traffic Management Guidance Scheme
  • Copy of site plan or drawing showing details of proposed works

Please note the application will only be able to be submitted when the mandatory documents are uploaded. For the best experience, we recommend using Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari.

Apply online

Applications must be received by the Department of State Growth at least 20 business days before your expected start date for works, to allow enough time to assess your application.

No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.


If you have any questions please call us on (03) 6166 3369.