Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu


If you are planning an event, please check the latest advice through the Australian Government Department of Health website or at the Tasmanian Department of State Growth website.

For general information about COVID-19, call the national 24-hour coronavirus information line on 1800 020 080 or visit the Australian Government Department of Health website.

1Traffic control

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites.

More information can be found on the Tasmanian Guide - Traffic Control for Works on Roads webpage.

More information about organising community events on the State road network can be found at Temporary signs for advertising community events.

2Disruptions to public transport

To ensure that public transport operates reliably and safely on our road network and our bus customers are aware of any changes, you must address any potential public transport disruptions in your permit application.

For more information on your responsibilities see Permit applications - impacts on public transport.

3Cycling, running and walking events

We support the use of State roads for cycling, walking and running events if they can show that they will operate safely, and without significant interference with the normal road use.

Find out more: Cycling, running and walking events


Before starting the online application all necessary documents must be available for uploading.

  • If your event involves an assembly area, you will need to provide a plan that indicates the distance of the proposed assembly area to the road.
  • If your proposed event impacts on traffic flow, a Traffic Management Guidance Scheme will be required.

Apply online

Applications must be received by the Department at least 20 business days before the expected start date for your event, to allow enough time to assess your application.

No event can occur on a State road without written authorisation. Approval is granted in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.

  • If you are organising a cycling, walking, or running event, you can find information about how to apply for a permit here:  Cycling, running and walking events.
  • If your event requires full or partial closure of a road, you will need to obtain approval from Tasmania Police.
  • If you are planning a public event you will need a Place of Assembly licence under the Public Health Act 1997. You will need to apply to the relevant Council.

Before applying you should make sure you have:

  • made sure you’ve allowed access for vehicles, pedestrians, public transport and emergency services
  • provided adequate parking
  • planned to advertise your event, particularly if it involves road closures or traffic diversions
  • consulted with affected stakeholders.

Please note - For the best experience, we recommend using Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari.


If you have any questions please call us on (03) 6166 3369.