On 2 July 2018, the Department of State Growth (State Growth) transferred responsibility for direct delivery of heavy vehicle compliance and enforcement to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).
The NHVR will now provide:
- On-road education and compliance for heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass). This includes mass, dimension, vehicle standards, load restraints, route compliance and driver fatigue.
- Investigations and prosecution of offences under the HVNL.
State Growth will continue to provide:
- Escorts for over Size Over Mass (OSOM) vehicles.
- Written-Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) identity checks for light vehicles.
- Light vehicle crash inspections for the Coroner.
- Public Passenger Vehicle compliance and enforcement.
- Other light vehicle compliance and enforcement with Tasmania Police
More information about the how these changes affect deliver of heavy vehicle services can be found here.
Information on safety, licensing, registration, notices and the PBS scheme.