Approved Inspection Stations (AIS)
Information for the public and service providers, these being AIS Proprietors and Vehicle Examiners (VEs) regarding mechanically based vehicle inspections. VEs are persons approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to conduct vehicle inspections.
There are six different types of inspections conducted by VE’s:
Type 1: Light vehicle, trailer, private buses and motorcycle pre-registration checks, (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM/GTM). Defect notices which have nominated on the notice ‘to be cleared by an AIS’.
Type 2: Periodic taxi, luxury hire cars, restricted hire vehicles, hire and drive vehicles, and large passenger vehicles with a seating capacity less than 13 seats not requiring a brake efficiency test. Defect notices which are nominated on the notice to be cleared by an AIS. Type approval of vehicles requested by the Registrar;
Type 3: Periodic large public passenger vehicle inspection. Defect notices requiring “brake testing” which are nominated to be cleared by an AIS;
Type 4: Heavy vehicle, trailer, private buses, hire and drive vehicles (greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM/GTM). Defect notices requiring ”brake testing” which are nominated to be cleared by an AIS.
Type 5: Periodic Driving Instructor Vehicle inspections.
Type 6: New heavy vehicles and trailer inspections (greater than 4.5 tonne GVM/GTM)
Information and links useful for the public
AIS locations and contact information
- Light Vehicles
- Driving instructor vehicles
- Small passenger transport service and type approval vehicles
- Large passenger transport service vehicles
- Heavy Vehicles
Vehicle inspection fact sheets
- Fact sheet number one: Trailer Identification
- Statutory Declaration
- Are you checking your vehicle regularly? (PDF) (Word)
- Are you checking your trailer regularly?
- List of weighbridge locations in Tasmania
- Dispute Resolution Policy
How do I apply to become an AIS and/or Vehicle Examiner
Information about how to become a type one AIS
- If you are interested in becoming an approved inspection station able to inspect heavy vehicles and/or passenger transport vehicles we strongly encourage you to read the following document: Future Engagement of Heavy and Public Passenger Vehicle Approved Inspection Stations (PDF) (Word)
Information and links useful for AIS Proprietors and VEs
- 2 Axle Crane - SPV Schematic for Conditional Registration
- 3 Axle Crane - SPV Schematic for Conditional Registration
- 4 Axle Crane - SPV Schematic for Conditional Registration
- 5 Axle Crane - SPV Schematic for Conditional Registration
- 6 Axle Crane - SPV Schematic for Conditional Registration
- Tri Axle Trailer Schematic for Conditional Registration
- Quad Axle Trailer Schematic for Conditional Registration
Checklists for imported vehicles
- Checklist for imported vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 (PDF 21KB)
- Checklist for imported vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1989 (PDF 17KB)
Legal requirements of a Vehicle Examiner
This handbook has been produced by the Department of State Growth to assist Vehicle Examiners (VE) in understanding their legal responsibility as a Vehicle Examiner.
External links for AIS
Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513 or international +61 3 6169 9017