Department of State GrowthTransport

Claims for damage

Submitting a claim for compensation for damage and loss

If you have suffered damage and/or loss from an incident on a State road you can submit a claim for compensation. Click here to see which roads are managed by the Department of State Growth (the Department).

When making a claim you will need to advise;

  • The date and time of the incident
  • The location
  • If the incident occurred at roadworks
  • The cause of the incident
  • Who was driving
  • The type of vehicle and registration number
  • The extent of the damage to the vehicle
  • Your full contact details (phone number, email, address, etc.)

Claims can be emailed to .

You can also post your claim to;

Claims for Damage

State Roads Division

GPO Box 536

Hobart TAS 7001

The Department will acknowledge receipt of your claim and may request further information if needed. Once all the information for your claim has been received the Department will pass it to either the Department’s insurance advisor, or, if the incident occurred at roadworks, the relevant contractor.

The Department will advise you in writing which party will be assessing your claim. A response can be expected within 4 – 6 weeks.

The Department will not ordinarily accept liability for any claims for:

  • damage to tyres with an aspect ratio (profile) of 40% or less, or damage to the associated rims
  • damage resulting from criminal actions
  • damage resulting from the actions of a third party
  • damage resulting from extreme weather events

The Department will not accept any claims for:

  • damage occurring on a road that is not managed by this Department
  • damage resulting from criminal actions
  • damage resulting from extreme weather events
  • matters already the subject of an insurance claim (if you have claimed under your insurance, you cannot also claim from the Department)


The information on this page should be used as a guide only and is not, and should not be taken as legal advice.