New to Tasmania
If you are a new permanent resident of Tasmania (fixed address) from another Australian State or Territory, or from another country you will need to make arrangements with us to get a Tasmanian licence.
You can drive in Tasmania on your interstate licence provided it is current, which means it isn't expired, cancelled, suspended or disqualified. You can drive up to 3 months from the date you arrive in this State, after 3 months you will need to transfer your licence to a Tasmanian licence.
You can drive in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you are a visitor OR have a temporary visa (e.g. international students, refugees, working, holiday) OR have a permanent visa that has not been issued more than 3 months.
How do I apply to replace or renew my Tasmanian Licence when out of the state?
To change to a Tasmanian vehicle registration, there are specific processes.
- Re-establish Registration
- MR114 Interstate Vehicle Registration Transfers Checklist (PDF 104KB)
- MR114 Interstate Vehicle Registration Transfers Checklist (WORD 106KB)
- Importing vehicles into Australia (PDF 76KB)
- Moving unregistered vehicles
- Online service available to check the status of any vehicle.