Skip to content

Masks are currently mandatory in high-risk and vulnerable settings until further notice.

Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1How do I convert my interstate or New Zealand licence?

To convert your licence, you will need to:

  1. Go to Service Tasmania
  2. Provide full evidence of identity, including your existing Australian or New Zealand licence and other listed documents, as well as evidence of your current residential address
  3. Fill in the licence application form
  4. Provide a medical certificate (if applicable)
  5. Pay a fee (if applicable)
  6. Have your photograph taken and provide your signature

You will then receive a temporary licence before your photo licence arrives in the mail.  We will also recognise and transfer all driver licence classes and licence conditions that are applicable in Tasmania.

2Are there eligibility requirements to convert your licence?

You can transfer your licence as long as you:

  • Hold a current Australian or New Zealand driver licence or have held such a licence within the last 5 years
  • Comply with the Tasmanian age and driving experience requirements for your licence class.

3Can I transfer my car learner licence?

You can transfer a current interstate or New Zealand car learner licence at Service Tasmania.

You will be transferred to a Tasmanian learner licence and must abide by all Tasmanian learner conditions.

The earliest P1 assessment date will be 12 months from the date of issue of your interstate licence or your 17th birthday (whichever is longer). If you can provide proof of having already completed a Hazard Perception Test (HPT) in the location your licence was issued within the last 12 months, you will be exempt from the Tasmanian HPT requirement. This information should be taken to a Service Tasmania shop.

4Can I transfer my provisional car or motorcycle licence?

You can transfer your provisional car or motorcycle licence to a Tasmanian provisional licence at Service Tasmania.

The time you’ve spent on your Ps will be used to determine the minimum provisional period for your licence:

If you’ve held your provisional licence for less than a year, you’ll be given a P1 licence with your total provisional period being calculated according to your age:

Age when provisional licence was issued

Minimum total provisional period (P1s and P2s)

Over 17 and under 22

3 years

Over 22 and under 24

2 years or until 25 (whichever is longer)

Over 25

2 years

If you’ve held your provisional licence for more than a year, you’ll be given a P2 licence. Your total time on your P2s will be calculated according to your age:

Age when P2 licence is issued

Minimum P2 period

Over 18 and under 23

2 years

Over 23 and under 25

12 months or until 25 (whichever is longer)

Over 25

12 months

You must abide by all the conditions on Tasmanian provisional car drivers or motorcycle riders.

5Can I transfer my motorcycle learner licence?

If your motorcycle learner licence is current and you are at least 16 years and 6 months old, you are eligible to go to Service Tasmania to convert your licence. Your licence will be issued with the same expiry date as your interstate licence to a maximum of 12 months.

If you are 17 years old or older and have held your interstate licence for more than 6 continuous months, you can undertake your check ride and pre-provisional test to obtain a Tasmanian provisional motorcycle licence.

If your learner licence is expired, you will need to pass a motorcycle road rules knowledge test and undertake day two of the pre-learner motorcycle course to get a Tasmanian motorcycle learner licence.