To be eligible to become a driving instructor, you must:
- be at least 21;
- hold a current Australian driver licence for the class of vehicle in which you wish to instruct;
- for car driving instructors, have successfully completed a Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics – Road Transport (Car Driving Instruction)
- ring Australian Driver Trainers Association Tas Inc on 0438 130 162 for more information.
- have held an Australian driver licence (other than learner or provisional) for at least three years, and held it for at least one year immediately prior to the date of your application
- meet the "suitable person criteria", this includes that -
- you have not been convicted of a criminal or other relevant offence
- you have not been disqualified from driving for a traffic or drug/alcohol related offence within the last five years
- you have not previously had a certificate refused or cancelled
If you do not meet the criteria, you will need to give us a letter stating the reasons why you should be granted an Ancillary Certificate:
- this letter should also be accompanied by supporting documentation, such as character references.
- provide a commercial medical assessment.