Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What are the eligibility requirements to become a driving instructor?

To be eligible to become a driving instructor, you must:

  • be at least 21;
  • hold a current Australian driver licence for the class of vehicle in which you wish to instruct;
  • for car driving instructors, have successfully completed a Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics – Road Transport (Car Driving Instruction)
  • Contact the Australian Driver Trainers Association via email for more information
  • have held an Australian driver licence (other than learner or provisional) for at least three years, and held it for at least one year immediately prior to the date of your application
  • meet the "suitable person criteria", this includes that -
    • you have not been convicted of a criminal or other relevant offence
    • you have not been disqualified from driving for a traffic or drug/alcohol related offence within the last five years
    • you have not previously had a certificate refused or cancelled

If you do not meet the criteria, you will need to give us a letter stating the reasons why you should be granted an Ancillary Certificate:

  • this letter should also be accompanied by supporting documentation, such as character references.
  • provide a commercial medical assessment.

2How do I get my driving instruction ancillary certificate?

You will need to go to Service Tasmania and provide/undertake the following:

  • your drivers licence
  • completed an application form for Ancillary Certificate in Driving Instruction
  • National Criminal History Check from Tasmania Police
  • Working with Children Registration (Employment Category)
  • a commercial medical assessment form completed by your usual medical practitioner
  • complete a knowledge test on the Tasmanian road rules (heavy vehicle classes only)
  • one passport size photograph
  • signature specimen
  • for car driving instructors, successfully complete a Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics – Road Transport (Car Driving Instruction)
  • for motorcycle Instructors, successfully complete the training course provided by an external service provider
  • for heavy vehicle instructors, pass a driving test conducted by an external service provider.

You will also be required to pay a fee.