Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What do I need to do if I have changed my name?

You will need to go to Service Tasmania with your evidence of identity. This will need to include:

And evidence of your change of name from the following:

  • marriage certificate (issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages - not a church or celebrant issued certificate)
  • divorce paper (issued by Court, showing name being reverted to)
  • deed poll certificate
  • change of name registration (issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages)
  • guardianship order (issued by Court)
  • adoption paper (issued by Court).

2How can I change my address?

To change your residential and postal address:

You can:

3Garage address

To change one or more garage address, you will need to:

4Gender and gender change

Gender is recorded for all persons with a record in the driver licence and vehicle registration register. It does not appear on the driver licence. Gender can be recorded as M (male), F (female), or X (other category that the person identifies as, including but not limited to indeterminate, intersex, and unspecified).

If you wish to make a change to your gender status as recorded in the driver licence and vehicle registration register, you should present an original certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages that provides evidence of the change.

5How do I change the nominated operator (for vehicles with joint registration)

You can change a nominated operator of a vehicle at any time free of charge by:

  • submitting a “Nominate or Change a Nominated Operator (MR13)” form at Service Tasmania
  • calling Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513
  • providing evidence of change of name for a company, incorporated association or body corporate at Service Tasmania.

For evidence of change of name you will need a certificate of registration of Change of Name from ASIC.

6What are Category A (evidence of your existence) documents?

Category A documents:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian Citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired for up to two years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to two years if you have a current Australian Visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired for up to two years)
  • Australian Firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card,
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status.

7What are Category B (evidence of use of your identity) documents?

Category B documents:

  • Medicare card
  • Bank/credit card (with your signature on it)
  • Student identity card (must be issued by an Australian Educational Institution and include your photo)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession or other current Australian Government issued entitlement card
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages issued Change of Name, Marriage, or Registration of Gender Certificate, or Deed Poll (not a celebrant or church certificate)
  • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people card.