Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What evidence do I need to prove my identity?

If you have a Tasmanian driver licence you can prove your identity by providing your photo driver licence (it can be expired for up to two years).

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence, you’ll need to provide evidence of your residential address and/or evidence of change of name documents.

If you don’t have a Tasmanian driver licence you must provide at least 3 documents:

  • One category A document and two Category B documents; or
  • Two Category A documents and one Category B document

All documents need to be the original version (they can’t be photocopies or certified copies). They also need to be in English or accompanied by an English translation (from an accredited translator).

If your evidence of identity documents don’t show your current Tasmanian residential/premise address, you must prove your residential, premise or garage address.  If your name has changed, you will need to provide evidence of your change of name.

2What are Category A (evidence of your existence) documents?

Category A documents:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian Citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired for up to two years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to two years if you have a current Australian Visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired for up to two years)
  • Australian Firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card,
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status.

3What are Category B (evidence of use of your identity) documents?

Category B documents:

  • Medicare card
  • Bank/credit card (with your signature on it)
  • Student identity card (must be issued by an Australian Educational Institution and include your photo)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession or other current Australian Government issued entitlement card
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages issued Change of Name, Marriage, or Registration of Gender Certificate, or Deed Poll (not a celebrant or church certificate)
  • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people card.

4What if my evidence of identity documents don’t show my new name?

If you’ve changed your name and it doesn’t match your Category A or B documents, you will need to provide one of the following documents:

  • Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant certificate)
  • Divorce Paper indicating the name being reverted to (issued by a court)
  • Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages or Deed Poll
  • Guardianship Order issued by the relevant authority
  • Adoption paper issued by a court.

5What if I’m unable to supply evidence of identity documents?

If you are genuinely unable to meet the full evidence of identity requirements, you can provide:

  • one category A document; and
  • two non-standard evidence of identity documents.

One of the non-standard evidence of identity documents must display your current Tasmanian residential addresses and must be original and current.  Any non-standard documents will be considered and you will be advised if they will be accepted.

Genuine inability doesn’t mean inconvenience or delay to a person, or difficulty or expense in obtaining a required document.

You can find out more information on non-standard evidence of identity documents by calling Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513.

6Gender and gender change

Gender is recorded for all persons with a record in the driver licence and vehicle registration register.  It does not appear on the driver licence.  Gender can be recorded as M (male), F (female), or X (other category that the person identifies as, including but not limited to indeterminate, intersex, and unspecified).

If you wish to make a change to your gender status as recorded in the driver licence and vehicle registration register, you should present an original certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages that provides evidence of the change.