Skip to content

Keep up to date with the latest COVID-19 information for Tasmania -

Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What has changed?

Various to Various (V2V) permits expired on 31 December 2015. A new Gazette Notice, the Tasmania Class 1 Load Carrying Mass and Dimension Exemption Notice 2016, developed jointly by the Department of State Growth (the Department), the Tasmanian OSOM industry and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (HNVR), replaced the V2V permits.

The V2V permits cover a wide range of vehicles.  It is estimated that the new notice covered 80 – 90% of the vehicles and networks under the V2V permits.  Some operators may need to apply for new permits through the NHVR.

If you need assistance in understanding the new system, in the first instance please call 6166 3258 or email:

2Why couldn't the Various to Various (V2V) permits be renewed?

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) commenced on 10 February 2014 and the V2V permits were transitioned under a provision in the Law. The V2V permits were originally extended in December 2014 and there was no possibility of a further extension. All V2V permits will expire on 31 December 2015.

3Who will be affected by the new notice?

The new Notice will affect only those operators transporting oversize/overmass (indivisible) loads that are not covered under the existing Vehicle Operations Notice.

4Can I access all roads as I did with a V2V permit?

The HVNL requires the relevant road manager(s) to consent to travel along their roads.  We have worked closely with all councils to provide as much strategic network as possible but not every road in the State is included.

5When did the notice start?

The notice started on 18 November 2015 and is in effect for 5 years.

6What has the notice achieved?

The notice allows eligible vehicles to travel on a certain roads without a permit, which will provide a high level of certainty and transparency to industry as well as reducing delays to industry movements.

Extensive consultation with the OSOM industry and local councils has been undertaken to provide as extensive a network as possible. The 2015 State Budget allocated 1.7 million to local councils to assist in the assessment of strategic networks used by the OSOM industry.

7How do I know if I am covered by the notice?

The Notice applies to eligible vehicles operating in Tasmania; eligible vehicles are listed in the Tasmanian Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicle Guide (LCVG).There are many variations of an eligible vehicle in the guide, each with their own specific mass and dimension requirements. The maximum limits are as follows:

  • 5.5m wide; or
  • 30.0m long; or
  • 5.0m high; or
  • a loaded mass of 103.0t.

8What is an eligible vehicle?

An eligible vehicle is a load carrying vehicle, carrying an indivisible load, specified in the LCVG that does not comply with a prescribed mass and/or dimension requirement.

The LCVG can be found at NHVR Gazette notices - Oversize Overmass access

An easy way to find out if your vehicle is included is to start by using the self-assessment tool, located in appendix 1.

9What is a vehicle designator

The vehicle designator is the code given to each eligible vehicle in the LCVG.

Eligible Vehicle Designator


















TLC4, TLC5, TLC6 and TLC7





10What do the maximum axle group masses of A, B and C mean?

The maximum axle group masses determine the impact the vehicle will have while travelling on a road or bridge. Mass A vehicles have the largest impact while mass C vehicles have the lowest impact. You will get a greater network access with a mass C vehicle than with a mass A vehicle, assuming the same category and sub-category.

11What if my vehicle isn’t listed in the LCVG?

If you vehicle isn’t in the LCVG you may need to apply for a permit.  However, please contact 6166 3258 in the first instance for assistance.

12Where can I find the map showing the networks and how do I use it?

Tasmanian Class 1 Load Carrying Network Map

Instructions on using the map

Note: The Map is best viewed using Chrome or Firefox but will work with Internet Explorer version 9 or greater.

13What if a road or pickup I often use isn't on the map

If a road you often use is not on the Map, there are a few things you can do:

  • If possible, try a different vehicle combination to see if it provides access.
  • Contact the Road Manager to have the road added to the Map.
  • Ask for consent to be provided from the road owner so that the consent can be sent along with your permit application to the NHVR, if the road isn’t added to the Map.
  • Apply for a permit to the NHVR who will seek consent from the road manager.

14What do the different coloured roads mean?

Roads on the Map may be one of 6 colours:

  1. A green road allows you to travel under the conditions of the Notice.
  2. An orange road allows you to travel under conditions of the Notice with specific pilot and escort requirements.
  3. A blue road allows you to travel under conditions of the Notice with specific pilot and escort requirements.
  4. A red road cannot be accessed under the Notice. You must apply to the NHVR for a permit to use this road.
  5. A purple road means that a signposted mass limit exists.  These must be complied with or you will need to contact the road manager to apply for an exemption.
  6. A grey road is a road that has not been assessed as it is not considered part of the strategic OSOM network. You must apply to the NHVR for a permit to use this road.

15What are the dots on the Map?

The dots on the map represent bridges.

  • A yellow dot means that you must travel over the bridge at a speed of 10km/h
  • A red dot means that you may not travel over the bridge under the Notice. If you wish to travel over the bridge you will need to apply to the NHVR for a permit
  • A purple dot means that a signposted mass limit exists.  These must be complied with or you will need to contact the road manager to apply for an exemption.

16What do the pink lines on either side of the road mean?

A road with pink lines on either side indicates that road has a time restriction ( is a commuter route). You may not travel under the Notice on these roads between 8am – 9am and 5pm – 6pm Monday to Saturday. These only currently exist in Burnie, Launceston and Hobart.

17What do I do if I want to access a road when the road manager is not the State Government or council?

In the first instance, you should contact the road manager and discuss your requirements, particularly if it is a common or frequent rout or origin/destination used and ask that it be added to the relevant network map.

You may still need to apply for a permit for that section of road, however over time, the networks will grow and evolve.

18Are the network maps up to date?

Yes, the maps are updated regularly.  You must remember to check the maps prior to travel.