Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

Are there exemptions to being on the MAIP?

You can apply for an exemption to some of or all aspects of the Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program.

You may apply for an exemption if you:

  • have a medical condition that affects your ability to operate an interlock device (supported by a medical certificate/report from your GP or specialist)
  • reside in, or are a frequent visitor to King Island or the Furneaux group
  • you or a member of your family will be caused severe hardship if you participate in the program
  • you have an alcohol interlock device installed in your own vehicle and you also have to drive a vehicle for the purposes of work (you will be applying for an exemption from using an interlock with the work vehicle).

You’ll have to provide all supporting information necessary and pay a MAIP Exemption fee.