Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

What do I do if I believe another driver is not safe to drive?

If you become aware of a driver who you believe is not safe to drive, there are a few steps you should take:

  1. If the driver is a friend or family member, discuss your concerns with the driver directly - it may not be an easy conversation to have, but it may help the driver to realise that they need to take action. If the driver won't discuss their driving with you, suggest they consult their doctor for an objective opinion.
  2. If you cannot speak with the driver, or the driver refuses to take action, notify us for further investigation. You can do this by:
  • completing the Third Party Notification Form (PDF) (WORD) and emailing to,  The form can also be posted to our address below.
  • writing a letter addressed to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, GPO Box 1002, Hobart TAS 7001. Please include your name, contact details, the details of the person you are concerned about and the reasons for your concerns.

All notifications received will be treated confidentially - your details will not be disclosed to the reported driver unless you consent or it is required by law. You will also not receive any details concerning the outcome of the investigation.