Skip to content

Stay home. Save lives.

Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What are the requirements for a vehicle to be classed as vintage or a street rod?

Vehicle must meet and be maintained to relevant roadworthiness standards.

Vintage vehicles must be:

  • manufactured 30 years before the application.

Street Rods must be:

  • a light vehicle
  • modified (where applicable, certified and recognised by registering authority) for safe road use
  • have a body and frame made before 1949
    or be a replica of a body or frame of a vehicle made before 1949,
    or a vehicle made before 1949.

Also eligible for Rod prefix registration plates are;

  • vehicles defined by the Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF) as a custom class and must be:
    • a light vehicle
    • has a body or frame manufactured between 1949 and 1965 inclusive
    • modified (where applicable, certified and recognised by registering authority) for safe road use.

2What are the conditions on a club event registration?

Club event vehicles can only be used:

  • For 30 days maximum outside of club events:
    • a logbook must be carried at all times when used outside of club events
    • the operator must be a current financial member of a recognised club.

They must not:

  • be used for hire or reward
  • carry a load except for items associated with a club event ( e.g. machinery, display material) or general light goods (e.g. supplies)
  • tow a vehicle ( other than a caravan either being used to attend an approved event or a 'period' caravan that is for display at an event.

3What are the benefits of club event registration?

You are not required to pay motor tax for club event registered vehicles.

You will also pay a reduced MAIB premium.

4How do I change between regular registration to club event registration?

Have your vehicle inspected by an authorised club official of the recognised club and be provided with an application form and club declaration

You will need to visit a Service Tasmania with:

  • a completed Application for Registration (MR205) form
  • a declaration signed by a recognised car club official that:
    • states you are a current member of their club
    • identifies the vehicle by:
      • chassis/VIN
      • engine number.
    • states the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
  • your Tasmanian licence or other evidence of identity.
  • your proof of entitlement to register the vehicle.

If you are approved for club event registration, you will receive a:

  • certificate of registration
  • certificate of Approved Operations
    • this must be carried in the vehicle.
  • number plates
    • white and blue “VC” plates for veteran
    • black and white “ROD” plates for street rods and for ASRF custom class vehicle (1949 to 1965).

5How do I renew a club event registered vehicle?

To renew club event registration you must provide:

  • A signed declaration confirming that you are still a paying member of the car club

6How do I transfer ownership of a club event registered vehicle?

To transfer ownership of a vehicle with club event registration the new owner must be able to provide a declaration signed by an official from their club. A transfer fee is required but no duty applies.

7How do I change from club event registration to full registration?

To change from club event to full registration you will need to:

  1. Have your vehicle inspected at an Approved Inspection Station (AIS).
  2. If the inspection is passed, take the following to Service Tasmania to have the vehicle registered:
  1. Pay registration fees.
  2. What will I receive?

    If you are approved for full registration, you will receive a:
  • certificate of registration
  • number plates.

You will pay a transfer fee but no duty to complete this transfer.

8How do I register a car club?

To become a registered car club you must provide:

  • your club’s constitution
  • dates of at least 2/3 of and the venues of scheduled rallies;
    • the remainder can be organised at your discretion.
  • a nominated member to control the use of the club’s membership
  • a procedure for approving rallies
  • suitable scrutineers;
    • name and address.
  • procedures for internal discipline
  • a sample of the club’s roadworthy certificate.

Further information may be requested on top of what is listed.

The required documents should be emailed to