Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

Defect notices can be issued by the police, Transport Safety and Investigation Officers (TSIOs) and other authorised officers. A police officer or an authorised officer can issue a defect notice for a vehicle if they consider that a vehicle is not safe. A member of the public can report an unsafe vehicle to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

The Registrar may send the registered operator of a vehicle a “call-in notice” to direct the registered operator to produce a particular vehicle for inspection.

Find out what to do if you have been issued with a defect notice, or have received a call-in notice, or wish to report a vehicle that you believe is not safe to be used on Tasmanian roads.