Skip to content
Transport Services: visit Home
Close Menu

1What does being disqualified from driving mean?

If you are disqualified from driving, your licence will be suspended or cancelled for a certain period of time. This means that you won’t be able to drive for the period of disqualification (and may have to become a non-novice learner driver).

The driving offences that you can be disqualified for include:

  • Court order under the Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999, Road Safety (Alcohol and Drugs) Act 1970, Police Offences Act 1935, the Sentencing Act 1997 and the Traffic Act 1925,
  • Recording a BAC between 0.05 and 0.1 for a first offence,
  • An unaccompanied learner infringement,
  • Excessive speeding of 38km/h or more,

Following your disqualification, you might also be placed in Case Management, have conditions placed on your licence or have to undertake the Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program when you get your licence back.

2What does being suspended mean?

If your licence is suspended it means that you can’t drive for a specified period. Once you finish your period of suspension, you’ll get your licence back automatically.

3What does having your licence cancelled mean?

If your licence is cancelled it means that you can’t drive for a specified period and you'll have to apply to get your licence back. This may mean that you’ll be subject to licence conditions.

4Applying for a Period of Good Behaviour. (Full licence holders only)

If your licence is suspended because you’ve accumulated too many demerit points, you can apply for a Period of Good Behaviour.

A Period of Good Behaviour allows you to continue driving. It lasts for 12 months from the start date of the suspension you would have served and means that you can’t accumulate more than one demerit point. If you do accumulate more than one point, your licence will be suspended for twice the original suspension period.

To apply, complete the Period of Good Behaviour application form (included in your Notice of Demerit Point Suspension). Then return the application to Service Tasmania (you must do this before your period of suspension starts).  You are not required to surrender your driver’s licence.